Monday, March 1, 2010
Sunday, August 17, 2008
why doesn't badminton get more coverage on the olympics. some things to consider.
1) Most people have actually played badminton at some point in their lives, whether at a backyard BBQ or gym class. (Can't say that about synchronized swimming.)
2) Fast paced action. (can't say that about cycling or distance running)
3) People actually can understand the rules. (Can't say that about gymastics or international basketball)
4) People can actually understand the scoring system. (Can't say that about gymnastics or diving)
5) The entire sport revolved around a cock.
6) Lots of androgenous looking asian athletes. You can play a game of "He or She" while watching.
All in all a jolly good time.
Posted by Mark at 11:43 AM
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
- watching a 1977 george carlin concert. it was an HBO special. Didn't know HBO was that old. a very good wikipedia article on this, apparently HBO was founded by Charles Dolan in 1972.
- things cook really really fast when you cook them at 700 degrees.
- my last golf shot today on the braemar par 3 course was the best 6 iron I ever hit in my life, about 10 yards over the 9th green. wish every golf shot felt that good.
- my new favorite quote -- "You got what you brought"
- people share why too much information in their facebook status. XXX is recovering from a bad day. who on earth are you that you are asking all of your friends and acquaintances for some pity. who does that?
Posted by Mark at 7:12 PM
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
wifey and i ate at Graham Elliot this weekend. a few thoughts.
- Service was outstanding and without pretense. The crowd was very different than Avenues, much younger and more familes as well which we really enjoyed.
- Loved the decor as well; nice open space with well spaced tables
On to the food. Overall, everything was at least good and the small dishes in general were a bit better than the large ones. When we go back,
- Gnocchi-- best I have ever had (and I order it alot); pearl onions and cheese helped make the dish with perfectly cooked potatoes.
- Rissotto-- best in class as well; rice cooked perfectly and the bacon gives good flavor without overpowering the dish
Very, Very Good:
- Buffalo chicken with beer foam: great inventive twist on wings. Chicken perfectly done in the middle with a spicy sauce that doesn't overpower. The blue cheese with celery pieces was a good touch.
- Mahi Mahi: very good as well with pineapple salsa and bok choy cooked perfectly. Presentation on this and all of the other main dishes needed some work IMHO. Everything stacked together isn't a good approach when you have such good distinct flavors.
- Pork chop: As mentioned before; huge portion with very good flavor.
- the truffle popcorn: GE could make a fortune by bagging and selling this. truly addicting. we probably filled up a bit too much on this
Needs a Little Tweaking
- The Caesar Salad. The brioche got changed up a bit on this version of Avenues BLT dish. GE, please bring the old dish back
Posted by Mark at 9:57 PM
you'd be shocked at the kind of workout you can get form WiiFit.
Posted by Mark at 7:44 AM
Tuesday, June 3, 2008
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Best Taglines Ever
1. You can't be very good if you aren't Veryfine.
2. Vernors. Its what we drink around here.
3. We do it like you do it when we do it like you do it at Burger King.
4. Pizza, Pizza (little caesars)
5. Just Do It (Nike)
6. Made from the best stuff on earth (Snapple)
7. Milk. I does the body good.
8. Raise your hand if you're Sure.
9. The Quicker Picker Upper (Bounty)
10. The Ultimate Driving Experience (BMW)
Any good ones I'm missing?
Posted by Mark at 5:51 PM
Saturday, May 3, 2008
Sunday, April 27, 2008
over the past 10 years, there has been an exponential growth in the quality and availability of entertainment technology. The pentration of plasma screens with the clearest picture ever is approaching it limit. However, at the same time, other technology is growing as well and consequently, multi-tasking.
Ironically, we now have the clearest picture ever, yet people are paying less attention to it. As I write this, I am watching Dateline NBC and IMing wifey who just on the other floor. In practical terms, this trend illustrates the importance of audio in today's television. With even less attention paid to the picture, advertisers must have breakthrough audio to get through to consumers.
Posted by Mark at 7:01 PM
Sunday, April 13, 2008
1) when did waiter/waitresses stop brining you your food? now it also also seems like it is a busboy or runner of some sort. As a result, if there is a mistake of some sort, then person in front of you in unable to deal with it. I know Henry Ford would be proud of this specialization but breaking the role of server into "order taking specialist" and "food delivery specialist". However, at some point, you need to bring the customer back into customer service.
2A) When did Wendy's eliminate the tables with the old newspapers on the tabletop? I miss those.
2B) When did Superbar go away? Maybe when Wendy's tried to go up market a bit more.
3) When will someone go to market with a down-market Fogo de Chao (Brazillia steakhouse). Since you eat immediately, tables turn much faster than normal. This would be a great opportunity for a volume play to enter the market.
more to come later.
Posted by Mark at 2:00 PM