Poker Source Online Free Poker gifts sound too good to be true? It's not! Pick from a dozen online poker rooms!

Saturday, December 18, 2004

am i asking too much...

those of you who know me well know that i am a stickler for good grammar. One particularly big mistake for me is people who don't know the difference between less and fewer. However, I understand that some people just didnt get a good education. However, WHEN A LARGE COMPANY gets it wrong, i just go ballistic.

At Dominick's yesterday, a large grocery store chain, I notice a sign over the express lanes. "15 items or less" How did this happen? are you telling me that noone in the organzation knows a fundamental point of grammar. Or is the story intentionally appealing to the least common denominator.


I'm not sure which is worse.

5 comments:

Mark said...

touche. actually i intentionally omitted the one in the title, since i wrote it as an excerpt from a though i did miss one on the last sentence of the second paragraph.

btw, how did you find out about my blog?

Anonymous said...

How come less and fewer are a big deal, but captalizing 'I' is optional?

Not nitpicking. Just wondering. Are blog-rules just more relaxed?

Mark said...

well, blog rules are more relaxed, but that's not the point. The pointis that my blog is not publicly posted for my business. If it wasevery i would be dotted and every t crossed. When a laminated sign is
preprinted, it should have gone through several levels of review. My blog goes through none

Anonymous said...

So a typo like "wasevery" is ok, but a common phrase is bad? Trust me, I understand. I hate it when I see the phrase "New and Improved"....if it is new how can it be improved?

Stop trying to be an elitist

Mark said...

well, I am an elitist, but that's beyond the point. The point is an issue of standards. Public companies should hold themselves to a higher standard of grammar. Mistakes in blogs are part of the rapid response nature of the medium. A painted sign reflects the leadership of a company. There are no excuses for that.